Share this recipe of Chicken filled Caterpillar buns or stuffed Croissant in Ramadan. Try it at home and let me know your thoughts on it.
All purpose flour – 3 cups
Egg – 1
Active Dried Yiest – 1 Table spoon
Sugar – 1+2 Table spoon
Oil – 1/4 cup
Luke warm water – 1 cup
Salt to taste
For the filling
Boneless chicken pieces – 500 grams
Medium Onions – 4
Green chillies – 4
Ginger garlic paste – 1 table spoon
Curry leaves – 2 strings
Pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
Garam masala powder – 1 teaspoon
Capsicum chopped – 1/4 cup
Carrots grated – 1/2 cup
Oil – 3-4 table spoon
Coriander leaves – 1/2 bunch
Salt to taste
Preparation of Chicken filled Caterpillar Buns
- In a bowl, add 1/4 cup of lukewarm water, dried yeast, 1 table spoon sugar and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add flour, milk, oil, 1 beaten egg, 2 table spoon sugar etc. and mix with a spoon.
- Add yeast-sugar mix in and knead well with hands.
- Add luke warm water to make the dough a bit pliable. Knead well to get a smooth structure.
- Make the dough like a big ball and cover the bowl with a damp towel.
- Let it rest for 4 hours to double the volume.
- In the meantime, let us prepare the filling:
Cook chicken with a little pepper powder and salt. Shred it and keep aside.
- In a non-stick pan, heat oil and add sliced onion and saute in medium flame until light brown in color.
- Add ginger garlic paste, chopped green chillies, curry leaves and salt. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken, chopped capsicum and grated carrot to it and cook for at least 5 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and sprinkle garam masala. Mix well and switch the flame off. Let it cool.
- Now lets work with the dough again.
Punch down the dough lightly using the palm and divide it equally.
- Clean and generously dust your workspace with flour. Roll out the dough into slightly think round shape and add the filling on one side and cover it to other side.
- Give some slits on the other side (Please refer the pictures) and fold the slits on the covered side just to look it like a caterpillar. Let it sit for another 10 minutes.
- Beat another egg in a small bowl and brush the buns slightly with a beaten egg. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Preheat the oven in 200 degree. Arrange butter paper on the baking pan and keep each buns on the paper leaving 2-3 centimeter distance.
- Bake the buns for 15-20 minutes or until the top portion is golden brown.
- Serve the Croissants warm!
- You can use anything like veggie, chicken, cheesy, tuna, etc for the Croissant filling.
By Athira Sooraj