Almond biscotti are great side dish or dipper in coffee, tea or milk. Some people love to enjoy them by itself as a quick snack.
Biscotti are snacks with Italian origin. They are twice-baked biscuits which are oblong-shaped, made dry and crunchy through cutting the loaf of dough while still hot and fresh from baking in the oven. As they are very dry snacks biscotti traditionally are served with a drink, into which they may be dunked. You can learn more about biscotti and its influence on Italian Culture from this Wiki article.
1 cup All-purpose Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 cup Chopped Almonds
1/4 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup Oil
A pinch of Salt
Water, as required
Preparation of Almond Biscotti
- Sieve maida, baking powder and baking soda in a big bowl.
- Add rest of all ingredients in it and mix well.
- Knead a soft dough by adding water gradually into it.
- Prepare a log out of it and arrange it on a lined baking tray.
- Bake it in pre-heated oven on 180° for around 20 mins. Then after, transfer it to a cooling rack and let it cool down to room temp.
- Cut the log into slices of your preferred thickness.
- Bake them again in pre-heated oven for 10 more mins.
- Serve with a cuppa tea or coffee!!!
- You can replace almonds with any of your favorite nuts!!!
Thenga choru / Coconut rice was a popular Malabar rice variant before Biriyani conquered the Muslim kitchens. Its still prepared in most of the Kerala Muslim houses. Its even considered as poor man’s Biriyani. Now a days people serve thenga choru for small events / functions and get together.
Preparation of thenga choru
- Wash the rice well and drain it and keep it aside.
- In a mixer blend the grated coconut with water and extract the first coconut milk using a filter.
- Again blend the filtered residue with water, filter it again so as to make it approximately 6 glasses of coconut milk. Keep it aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker and pour the ghee and oil it.
- Add the green chillies, ginger and sauté it.
- Add the turmeric powder, curry leaves, cumin seeds and stir well.
- Pour the coconut milk and stir.
- Add salt.
- Add the drained rice to the boiling coconut milk and mix well.
- Close the pressure cooker with the lid.
- Cook it for up 2 whistles.
- Stir the rice when pressure goes out and let the flame in simmer mode to dry if it is wet.
- Serve it hot with beef curry, Mutton curry or chicken curry.
- It will taste better if you can serve thenga choru together with these side dishes Moong dhal curry, Mutton curry (or beef / chicken curry), Lemon pickle, Pappads and curd raita.
Kozhukkatai is a traditional Kerala Christian recipe (particularly among the Syrian Christians) which were made during the time of Easter. Kozhukkatai is also one among the most popular Kerala sweet which is prepared from rice flour, grated coconut and jaggery. The dough for Kozhukkatai is made similar to that of Idiyappam.
This is a special recipe for Palm Sunday (In Kerala Kurutholla Perunaal).
Rice flour : 1 cup
Grated coconut : 1½ cup
Thick jaggery syrup : ½ cup
Cardamom powder : 1 tsp
Ghee : 1 tsp
Water : 1 cup
Salt : A pinch
- Preferably sieve the flour to remove the larger sized lumps.
- Add salt, ghee to water and boil it.
- Pour this water into the rice powder and knead well to make smooth dough, without lumps.
- Make big lemon sized balls out of this dough.
- Heat a thick bottomed sauce pan, add a spoon of oil / ghee and mix the grated coconut and cardamom powder.
- Roast it for some time and pour in the jaggery syrup.
- Keep it over the flame till the moisture dries up with constant stirring.
- Switch off the flame and transfer it to a bowl (optional)
- Spread a little oil on your palm and take a ball of dough and flatten in slightly (make it into 3-5mm thick and 6-8cm diameter rolls).
- Put a spoonful of the mixture (#7) in this and secure all the sides and roll lightly.
- Prepare the entire balls using the rest of the dough.
- Steam the kozhukkattas (in an idiyappam / idly maker) till done and serve them warm.
- Instead of ghee, you can add a teaspoon of oil also. This will make the dough soft and smooth.
- Keep the dough covered with a wet cloth all the time, to avoid the dough from drying out.
Horizon Zero Dawn – PlayStation 4
Minced meat – ½ cup
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Onions, finely chopped – 4
Green chilies, chopped very finely – 10
Ginger, mashed – one piece
Garlic, mashed – 8 cloves
Coriander leaves, chopped – 1 tbsp
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
Mint leaves, chopped – 1 tsp
Maida – 1 cup
Water – as needed to make the maida batter
Eggs – 5
Cardamom powder – a pinch
Oil – to fry
Sugar – as needed
Salt – to taste
Erachi pathiri (fried bread stuffed with Chicken masala) is a traditional Muslim food item, which is very delicious, rich meat-filled pastry. Erachi pathiri is very popular in Malabar and through out Kerala during the period of Ramadan. We usually prepares it in all iftars. It is a meal by itself. You can use Mutton, Beef or Chicken for the spicy meat filling.
Erachi pathiri preparation
- In a vessel add the minced meat, add salt and turmeric powder and place it on the fire until it is well cooked and all the water has dried up.
- Pour oil in a pan and heat it.
- Add onions, ginger, green chilies, coriander leaves, garlic, curry leaves and mint leaves to the pan and saute it.
- When the onions turn brownish, add the cooked meat and saute well and keep it aside.
- Knead the refined wheat flour (maida), salt and water and divide it into small balls. Roll out each ball into small globes, roughly the size of a poori.
- Take some of the meat mixture and spread it on top of a pathiri and place another pathiri on the top, to cover it.
- Press and seal all the edges well.
- Beat the eggs, sugar and cardamom powder together in a bowl well and keep aside.
- Using a spoon spread the blended egg thoroughly over each pathiri (coat it well with the egg mixture).
- Add some oil into a second pan and heat it.
- Now take each pathiri and fry it on the pan.
- Turn it over as needed, until both sides are well cooked.
- Serve with tomato ketchup.
- While kneading the wheat flour, boil together water salt and 1tsp oil in low flame. So the dough won’t stick together.
Hope you all will try Erachi pathiri for this Ramadan and will let me know your feedback. If you are preparing erachi pathiri in a different way, do let me know through the comments below.
Lifelong HealthyFry 1350-Watt Air Fryer, Black
Mutton: 1 Kg
Shallot/Small Onion: 25 Nos
Big Onion: 2 nos
Tomato: 2 Medium sized (cut into small pieces)
Green Chilly: 2 Big (sliced lengthwise)
Ginger: 1/2 cup (chopped)
Garlic: 1/2 cup (chopped)
Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder: 2 tsp
Chilly Powder: 4 tsp
Meat Masala: 2 tsp
Pepper: 2 Table spoon
Salt as required
Oil as required
Curry leaves : 2 sprigs
Its more than 2 months, this post was in draft format. Unfortunately I completely forgot to finish this post. Today I received a request from a subscriber of our’s for a mutton curry, and then only I remembered about it.
Kerala style mutton curry preparation
- Wash the mutton pieces well and cut it into small pieces. Wash again under running water.
- Drain the pieces well.
- Marinate the mutton pieces with chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, meat masala, salt and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat a pan / cheenachatti and add oil.
- Add onions and saute it till it becomes golden brown.
- When onions turn golden brown, add ginger, green chillies, garlic and saute it well.
- Add tomato pieces and curry leaves and stir well to get it mixed well.
- Lower the flame and saute it.
- Add the marinated mutton pieces to pan (Add 1/2 a cup of water only if you need to be as a curry).
- Mix well and keep it in low flame for 5-8 minutes stirring it in between.
- Transfer it to a pressure cooker and cook up to 3 whistles.
- You can apply some seasoning with curry leaves and oil if you wish.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve hot with Appam / Pathiri / Idiyappam etc.
By Cini P Moideen
Easy Recipes for Summer Cooking: A short collection of receipes from Donal Skehan, Sheila Kiely and Rosanne Hewitt-Cromwell
Preparing aloo fry is the easiest thing any amateur cook can do. You can serve this as an evening snack along with a little ketchup.
PS : It will be better if you use fresh potatoes for this.
Medium sized potatoes : 2
Corn flour : 4 tsp
Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
Garam Masala / Chat masala : ½ tsp
Lemon juice extract : 1 lemon
Onion : 1 small size (cut into very small pieces)
Green chilly : 3 nos(Slit into small pieces)
Salt : as needed (½ tsp)
Curry leaves : 1 sprig
Step by Step Aloo fry preparation
- Prepare a solution of cornflour with a pinch of salt and water. The consistency should be semithick so that it will coat the potato pieces unifromly.
- Pressure cook the potatoes for up to 3 whistles. Once pressure it released, peel of the potatoes and cut them into small identical sized cubes.
- Coat them evenly with the corn flour solution.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the potatoes for 3-4 minutes until the color changes to olden brown.
- In another pan, heat 2 tbsp of oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the onion pieces, green chillies, curry leaves and saute it until the onion turns yellow color.
- Add the fried potato pieces, add red chilly powder, garam masala, salt, lemon extract one after another and saute total for a 2-3 minutes. The potato pieces should be evenly coated with the masala.
- Turn off the flame and transfer to a servin bowl. Serve hot with some ketchup.
Nutella Hazelnut Spread with Cocoa 290g – Despicable Me 3 Limited Edition Pack (Labels may vary)
Last Sunday the newly wedded couples gave us a visit at home and I was really worried on what to give them for their first visit. With my Husband, I decided to prepare the my mom’s special beef roast (beef ularthiyath). We quickly arranged all other dishes and started preparing the beef roast for them. The couples enjoyed all our dishes and especially the beef roast. Enough of praising my food, you will get bored. Try this recipe and I am sure you will also love it.
Beef :1 kg
Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp
Red Chilly powder : 2 tsp
Black pepper powder : ½ tsp
Garam masala : ½ tsp
Coriander powder : 1 tsp
Dried red chilly : 10 nos
Green chilly :3 nos (sliced, vertically)
Onion : 3 medium sized (sliced, vertically)
Ginger (chopped) : 2tbsp
Garlic(chopped) : 1 tbsp
Curry leaves : 3 to 4 sprigs
Salt to taste
Kerala Beef Roast Recipe preparation.
- Cut the beef it into bite sized pieces and wash it well under running water.
- Pressure cook the pieces along with turmeric powder, red chilly powder, black pepper powder, coriander powder, garam masala, chopped ginger (1tbsp) and salt with 1 cup of water (6-8 whistles).
- Grind the dried red chillies into a fine powder in a mixer.
- In a pan, pour 2 tbsp coconut oil and add the ginger (remaining 1tbsp), garlic, green chilly, curry leaves, onion and saute till it turns light brown.
- Add the grinded red chillies to the pan and saute.
- Add the cooked beef to the pan and mix it well. If needed add some more coconut oil.
- Cover the lid and keep it in medium flame for 20 minutes. You can saute it in between.
- Serve with rice, appam, idiyappam or puttu.
Gala Spin mop with easy wheels and bucket for magic 360 degree cleaning (with 2 refills)
Pocket chicken is an easy to make snack. It can be made from leftover chicken. Great snack for kids as it has vegetables & chicken combo. Can add any vegetables of your choice. Its quick to make.
Chicken pockets preparation
- Roll bread to flatten it. Now cut it in round shape with help of a glass & cutter /knife.
- Now place 1 bread on top of another, seal the edges with little water.
- Now dip it in beaten egg. Then roll over in breadcrumbs which is mixed with chilli flakes & pepper (optional).
- Now deep fry bread, remove when slight golden. Now let it cool.
- Now cut the rounded bread from middle to make it a semicircle.
- Now you can open the semicircle like pocket & fill it with fillings.
Preparation of filling for chicken pockets:
- Boil chicken with salt, turmeric & black pepper. Now shred the chicken.
- In a pan put butter or oil & saute finely chopped carrot, capsicum & cabbage. Season with salt.
- Now add corn kernels & chilli paste. Stir fry for few minutes till the raw smell goes. Then switch off the flame & let the mixture cool a bit.
- Now add shredded chicken & mayonnaise with the mixture & mix it well. Now taste to check for seasonings & adjust accordingly – your filling is ready now open the bread pocket & fill it.
- Serve hot and crispy chicken pockets with tomato sauce or any dipping of your choice.
http://ws-in.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?rt=tf_cw&ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=IN&ID=V20070822%2FIN%2Fpsshabab7-21%2F8010%2F12d97ad8-6241-4452-8962-a27b32dd56a0&Operation=GetScriptTemplate Amazon.in Widgets
Chicken cutlets are an easy to prepare evening snack food which I am sure your Kids and other relatives will love. It is prepared from minced boneless chicken and mashed potatoes. This recipe will give you an awesome chicken cutlet. Don’t forget to send us your photos or comments after you try this. This is also a good item for iftaar / Ramzan. You can also freeze this for 2-3 weeks.
Chicken Cutlets preparation
- Pressure cook the potatoes and peel and mash it. Keep it aside.
- Cut the chicken in to small pieces and apply the red chilly powder and turmeric powder on the pieces and keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Pressure cook the chicken pieces with little water and salt.
- Mean while in a medium sized pan pour some oil and heat it. Add the chopped onions, ginger, green chillies and saute till it turns soft.
- Mince the chicken meat and add it to the pan along with the pepper powder, garam masala. Saute it for 10- 15 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and allow the mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- Once it is cooled add the mashed potatoes and mix well using your hands. (The mixture should hold shape when rolled into balls).
- Roll out small portions of the mixture into lime sized ball and flatten it between the palms to give it shape.
- Dip each cutlet in beaten egg and roll them in breadcrumbs, making sure that all sides are nicely coated.
- In another pan heat the oil and fry the cutlets in medium flame till they are golden brown.
- Serve with tomato Ketchup.